14 minutes to Bentley Hotel
Considered among the most expensive and best shopping streets in the world, Fifth Avenue in New York City is a central roadway that goes through Manhattan. It stretches from West 143rd Street in Harlem to Washington Square North at Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village.
The snippet of Fifth Avenue crossing Midtown Manhattan, in particular between 49th Street and 60th Street, is lined with prestigious shops and it ranks among the most opulent shopping streets in the world. Starting in the mid-1990’s, the shopping district between 49th and 57th Streets was known to have the world’s most expensive shops. Forbes magazine labeled Fifth Avenue as the most expensive street in the world. Some of the most sought after real estate on Fifth Avenue are the penthouses atop the buildings.
Museum Mile, the name for a section of Fifth Avenue stretching from 82nd to 105th streets on the Upper East Side, is an area sometimes called Upper Carnegie Hill. The Mile, which contains one of the lustrous displays of culture in the world, is in reality only three blocks longer than a mile. There are 9 museums occupying the length of this section of Fifth Avenue. A 9th museum, the Museum for African Art, joined the group in 2009. Its Museum at 110th Street, the first new museum built on the Mile since the Guggenheim in 1959, opened in late 2012.
Historic Sites on Fifth Avenue:
- 500 5th Avenue Building – December 14, 2010
- Aeolian Building (Elizabeth Arden Building) – December 10, 2002
- George W. Vanderbilt Residence – (647 5th Avenue) – March 22, 1977
- Goelet Building (Swiss Center Building) – January 14, 1992
- Gorham Building – (390 5th Avenue at 36th Street) – December 15, 1998
National Historic Landmarks on Fifth Avenue:
- Empire State Building – 350 5th Avenue – National Historic Landmark (06/24/86)
- Rockefeller Center − 45 Rockefeller Plaza – National Historic Landmark (12/23/87)
- New York Public Library – Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street – National Historic Landmark (12/21/65)
Fifth Avenue is 17 miles to JFK International Airport.